Wednesday, April 28, 2010

What if Christians actually considered others better than themselves?

Phillipians 2:3 Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others.


What if we thought the needs of others were more important than our own? These verses say that we should put selfishness aside and look to others interets as well. Personally, my needs are all met; I have shelter, food, love, and all the other needs I've been told that I have. And now that I have all my needs met, I can move on to my interests - the things I want: the things I put in my shelter, and the kinds of food I eat. The problem is that some of these other people, the ones that I am supposed to consider better than myself, don't have everything they need. Is it right that I keep pursueing my own interests when others don't have enough to survive? I'm not saying that we should never do things to make life more enjoyable, I am also not saying that I am the example that anyone should look to in this area. If you want that example keep reading in Phillipians - He's there. What we need to do is make steps toward this. The bible even give's suggestions.


- In Luke 14 it says that we shouldn't only invite friends, family, and rich neighbors to dinner but to invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, and the blind.

My brother could certainly stand to miss a dinner or two.

- In Hebrews 13 it says: "Do not forget to entertain strangers" and "remember those in prison as if you were their fellow prisoners."

If we were honest, we would probably admit that there are people we don't want to talk to, places we don't want to go to, and situations that we would rather ignore. It's time we humble ourselves and start washing some feet. If I considered others better than myself it wouldn't be a problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment